Thursday, April 23, 2020

Retro Review 009 :: Alanis Morisette - Jagged Little Pill

I swear I've actually never heard this entire record in my life. I bet I'm in for a treat here based on the fact that a third of the albums 12 tracks are hit singles I find myself very agreeable to! A big part of my fascination with Alanis is her appearance in "Radio Free Albermuth," a film adaption of the 2nd part of a final, unfinished Philip K. Dick trilogy of books.

"All I Really Want," the first track is a SUPERB opener with lots of weird Alanis Morisette melodies that sound surprisingly fresh. The production is buoyant and I'm guessing is reliant on electronic drums over drum loops. Alanis really wails in her performances with a voice ranging from crackly grumbles to sparkling highs!!

"You Oughta Know" is still really upsetting lyrically, a little bit..maybe? The song still sort of hits me when the big drum and guitar really kick in at the bridge and the whole melody to this song is superb and of course there is the badass part where she does the hiccup YOU!!.. I'm not sure who this song is about (Mr. Duplicity..I imagine..?) but its got quite a few barbs..I REALLY love the bass playing on this song (with which a little research revealed that it's the Red Hot Chill Pepper's Flea..). It's super funky and doesn't step on the rockiness of Jane's Addiction's guitarist Dave Navarro's shredding or the brightness of the vocals.

"One Hand in My Pocket" is my favorite song on this record. I love the drum production and vocal performance and synth bass and heroic sounding guitar. The lyrics are still very curious and I always sort of thought of this song as similar to "Where It's At" by Beck. "I've got one hand in my pocket, and the other's:
- giving a high five,
-flicking a cigarette,
-giving a peace sign
-playing a piano
-hailing a taxi cab

There are the three other singles (Ironic, Head Over Feet, You Learn) and some other tracks that are all pretty great, narrowly standing the test of time with still some pretty surprisingly fresh Alanis-brand melodies and chord changes. The lyrics to Ironic are still pretty poignantly silly. Isn't THAT ironic?



AVAILABLE WHERE MUSIC IS FOUND!!

No comments:

Post a Comment